The fortress, construction of which started in 1882, was one of several largest and most important fortresses throughout the Russian Empire of that time. Kaunas Fortress by its defensive value equalled to Warsaw and Brest military fortresses. It consisted of administrative buildings, barracks, artillery warehouses, bombshelters, railway lines, cobblestone roads, etc. The most important part of it – defensive ring of forts and batteries. The fortress had a huge influence on the urban development of Kaunas. With its size it surpasses all other militaristic complexes in Lithuania, is relatively well-preserved and perfectly illustrates the evolution of fortification of the late 19th – early 20th centuries. Before the First World War, nine forts were built in Kaunas, while others, although planned, were either left unfinished, or not even started to be built.